Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Books I Read in FEBRUARY 2018


FEBRUARY 2018 READS


I read and listened to some good books this month!  I'm finding that I read and listen to about the same amount each month (five hard copy and 5 audio).  I have been trying to read my shelves as well and have been participating in Erin's Challenge 8.0.  

Linking up with Jana and Steph for Show Us Your Books!  The Best Day of the Month📚


Beartown - (from my shelves)*Erin's Challenge - translated from another language*  My husband and I read this one and really enjoyed it.  Like alot of other people have said you don't need to love hockey to love this book.  So many characters to love and hate.  Can't wait for the sequel.  

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (from my shelves)*Erin's Challenge - Name in the title*  I enjoyed this book.  I was hooked from the first chapter.  Need to read more of TJR.

At Home in the World (audio/library Overdrive) I REALLY loved Notes From a Blue Bike and wanted to love this one.  I found it boring (listened and maybe that's why).  Didn't feel any energy in the audio version.  Maybe I should read the hard copy?

Between Breaths (audio/library Overdrive)  This one past the time just fine.  I didn't really know much about Elizabeth Vargas.  The book described the pressure from early on that Elizabeth felt and how it impacted her addiction.  

Big Magic (audio/library Overdrive) I enjoyed this book!  Oftentimes I don't feel very creative, but this book gave lots of insight into understanding and owning your creativity.  Lately, I have had a hard time absorbing information from self help books.  I am going to try to read more over this year to see if that changes.  

Murder on the Orient Express (from my shelves)*Erin's Challenge (book involving travel)*  I have not read alot of Agatha Christie.  I did enjoy And Then There Were None which my husband and I listened to on a long car ride last spring.  I enjoyed Murder... and will hopefully see the movie (which I have heard was BAD?!?!)  I think I will continue to read Christie's books.  

The Couple Next Door (from my shelves)*Erin's Challenge (plot twist book from Book Riot)*  This has been on my tbr for a while.  Glad I finally read it.  I'm starting to read some lightweight thrillers. I enjoyed this one and didn't want to put it down.  I will look forward to reading her next book.  

My Own Words/Ruth Bader Ginsburg (library/hard copy)  After having the honor to hear Justice Ginsburg speak at a local synagogue I wanted to read more about her.  This book was very detailed and covered a lot of the larger cases that RBG presided over.  There is a lot of legalese and at times it was hard to get through.  But overall it was so refreshing to learn a bit more about this phenom and her private/professional life.  

Four Seasons in Rome (audio/library Overdrive) After reading and loving All the Light We Cannot See, I wanted to try another of Doerr's books.  This was a book about a year that Doerr and his family (including a newly born set of twins) spent in Rome.  I liked the way he broke the book up into Seasons.  It past the time just fine and gave wonderful descriptions of the landscape, people and food of Italy.  

Rise and Shine Benedict Stone (from my shelves)*Erin's Challenge (author with same letter first/last name)*  After having read several books about elderly curmudgeons (Ove, Arthur Pepper, Arthur Truluv, Keeper of Lost Things) I decided to read another of Phaedra Patrick's books as it fit the category for the challenge.  Lots of similarities to the others named above.  I would say books that pass the time just fine.  Nothing life changing or overly informative, just light and fun.  

Books currently reading:  The Stars are Fire *Erin's Challenge (a book with a mostly red cover)*

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you got a lot read last month. That's awesome. I love Agatha Christie and I want to read even MORE by her. I thought the movie was okay; bit slow moving for a bit, but I'd happily see more Poirot films with Brannagh as the lead. I recommend The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Christie if you want to read more books from her. It's my favorite (so far).

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the RBG documentary! So happy you got to see her in person!

    The Stars are Fire was a weird one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author of Beartown wrote one mod my favorite books of all time, A Man Called Ove. Have you read that one?

    Including TSHoEH, I've read three Taylor Jenkins Reid books and I've enjoyed them all. I like TJR's consistency. In my experience, she delivers consistently well written stories.

    I am currently listening to The Couple Next Door. I have a have dozen theories running around in my mind about what happened, so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I loved A Man Called Ove. I also enjoyed One True Loves by TJR so I will continue reading her. :)

      Delete
  4. Couple next door and big magic are on my TBR, glad you liked them! I really love TJR and all her books are amazing. Evelyn was a good one, so different from her others. I liked Beartown alright, but didn't go crazy for it like most people did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read Beartown (and A Man Called Ove) but not until I'm done crying from another of the author's books, "My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry" which I read six months ago. ;)

    ReplyDelete